Design Certificate Course (Weekend 1 of 6)
Starting Sept. 20-21, 2014!!
Permaculture, a term originated by Australian ecologists, Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, means permanent culture. Using both ancient and modern knowledge, this methodology mimics universal patterns found in nature to create healthy human habitats. Guided by ethical behavior, Permaculture is a system of designing ecologically inspired landscapes that integrate home food production, energy, shelter and water. Participants will learn:
● A step-by-step design process that taps your creative genius
● Observation and site analysis to identify resource opportunities
● Bioregional ecosystems, diversity and natural patterns
● How to protect local watersheds and restore wildlife habitat
● Water harvesting and management in the landscape; detoxification with rain gardens
● Nutrient recycling with grey water and composting toilets
● Identification of microclimates and zone planning for efficiency
● Renewable energy systems and small-scale appropriate technology
● Natural building and passive-solar home retrofitting
● Fruit growing with forest gardens and plant guild design
● Intensive no-till food gardening, soil regeneration and composting
● How to cultivate forests, grains and cash crops
● Integration of domestic animals and aquaculture
● Social/economic strategies for urban/community scale food, energy and water security
Instructor: As a Permaculture designer, architect, and life-long organic gardener, Patty Ceglia is passionate about finding the ecological balance for productive potential of every site. She teaches at Wilson College, where her students practice hands-on strategies at the 160 acre Center for Sustainable Living.
Co-sponsored by: SCHOOL OF LIVING, HEATHCOTE COMMUNITY and the GUNPOWDER VALLEY CONSERVANCY.
Course location: Cromwell Valley Park, 2002 Cromwell Bridge Rd, Towson, MD (Baltimore County)
Fall 2014 & Spring 2015
Sept. 20-21; Oct. 18-19; Nov. 15-16
Mar. 21-22; Apr. 18-19; May 16-17
Sliding scale fee:
Early bird $900 - $1,100
After August 15: $1,000 - $1,200
Group discount: $50 per person if working on the same project
Scholarships: Application deadline is Sept. 1. Please email email@example.com to request an application.
For more information:
“Through the collective intentional efforts of many individuals, a healing momentum can transform our planet into the radiant life source it is intended to be.”